09 December 2010

Our Trip to Glens Falls, NY

Yesterday afternoon Johnny and I hopped in a rental car and drove up to Glens Falls, NY, for the BYU basketball game. Glens Falls is the hometown of Jimmer Fredette, and he's one of the best players BYU has had in a long time. Johnny and I just couldn't resist going to see our boys play.

 First off, let me say that it was weird to see wide open spaces again. I had kind of forgotten that not everywhere is like Manhattan.


The trip was about 3 1/2 hours, and it was so nice to just be in a car again. We drove by communities and I would say things like, "Look! A mall!" or "Look at all those houses!" It was just so fun. We listened to Christmas music and just enjoyed the drive. I have always loved road trips.

Glens Falls itself was literally in the middle of nowhere. I mean, seriously. It was very rural, with a very small-town feel to it.



It was freezing up in Glens Falls. I think NYC is cold, but up there it was SO COLD. The game started at 7:00, and we got there at 5:30, right when the doors opened.




Aside from the occasional Vermont fan, everyone there was rooting for BYU. It was so neat. Many people had bought BYU gear just for this game. The whole town showed up to watch Jimmer play! Johnny kept commenting on how weird it was to see people wearing BYU gear and holding a beer!

BYU shirt + Budweiser in lap
The game was great. Jimmer played great. All our BYU players played great. When they announced Jimmer at the beginning, everyone gave him a minute-long standing ovation. The same thing happened when he left the game at the end. It was a really fun atmosphere and we won big time!


Johnny and I got back to our apartment at 2:30 in the morning after we stopped at a super Walmart on the way home. I was freaking out at how cheap everything was. I almost loved that part of our trip as much as the game itself :)

7 comments:

Alexa said...

This is SUCH a cute date night! Road trips are the best. Your trip to Walmart sounds like the best part to me :) I'm looking forward to doing normal things like that when I go home!

Jill said...

did you know i am in love with jimmer? because i am. jealousy doesn't quite reach what i am feeling. haha
you guys are just the cutest little couple i have ever beheld and i can't wait to see you in 12 days!

Katie said...

Ahhh, wide open spaces and walmart. You don't truly appreciate them until you live here, right??

You guys look really cute in that pic. Glad you had so much fun!

Are you in town this weekend? Or are you going to DC? I forgot... If you're in town, we're having a White Elephant party on Saturday and you're invited! I'll email Johnny about it because I don't have your email...

Holly said...

I love the BYU shirt + Budweiser photo--especially how he's looking at you in the pic like, "Who the heck are you and why are you taking a picture of me?"

You guys sound like you're having so much fun out there. I'm a little jealous, I think.

Sarah said...

I'm so glad that you got to go to this game! I think that would be so neat to be in Jimmer's hometown and see everyone cheering for him. We thought about you guys that night as we heard that BYU won.

Oh, and we got your Christmas card! I just love your pictures! The card turned out so beautifully!

Angie said...

You guys look so cute in that photo! This looks like it was so fun! It seems like it would be so weird to hop in a car and drive out of the city into the wilderness. Haha. I'm glad you had so much fun!

Rachel said...

I showed this post to my husband. He really liked it. He misses American sports. I feel the same way when I leave the city. The Spanish love big malls!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...