15 December 2010

The New York Life


I love our life out here. On this blog, it may seem like life in the Big Apple is exciting and picturesque. At times it is, and I feel very lucky in those moments. But there are sacrifices and not so idyllic facts about life out here. Just so non-New Yorkers realize, let me enlighten you:
  • We don't have a dishwasher or a disposal.
  • Our heat comes from a metal pole that pushes hot water into the radiator, which then heats up our apartment by emitting steam. Oh, and we have no control over it.
  • Our groceries are quite pricey, and we get them delivered because our closest grocer is more expensive than delivery. Stores like Walmart and Target are far, far away.
  • We walk a block and a half to the laundromat each week. Each load costs $3.00 and the dryers cost $0.25 per 5 minutes.
So there ya go! I could even add more to that list if I wanted but I won't. We love being out here. Sometimes I can't imagine leaving! But the next time you think the New York life looks more picturesque than your own, just go and turn on your disposal and listen to its beautiful sound.

8 comments:

M.C. Sommers said...

This makes me smile. Margaret and I were just saying to each other the other day how awesome your life seems. I can't even imagine how expensive it would be to live in New York -- not to mention how inconvenient. Of course, I'm sure in ten years you won't remember all the trips to the laundromat but you will remember all the adventures. That's how it always is for me :)

Angie said...

Ahhh yes, the disposal. That is one of the only things I still miss. I hate when I forget and I end up having to pull mushy food out of the drain with my fingers. YUCK. It took me about a year of living here to get over how "inconvenient" NYC life is, and now it doesn't seem inconvenient at all! It's just life as usual.

Well.... I guess on Monday when I spent an hour and a half on the bus to travel a mile and a half to Costco and back, only to have my Costco card rejected and leave empty-handed... that was pretty inconvenient.

But other than that, I feel like I've grown so used to carrying my groceries home, paying more for things, etc, that it just seems normal now. Although, I have no room to talk because we don't have steam heat and we do have a dishwasher and our laundromat is two doors down and theres a good grocery store four blocks away. Yeah, I should just stop. (And you should move into my neighborhood!)

Margaret said...

Thanks for posting this. It brings more of our different lives in perspective.

I will run my garbage disposal in your honor tonight.

P.S. Is this picture your Christmas card? If not, it SHOULD be! You two look so Christmas-y! Love it.

Alexa said...

I love this post! I always feel like people must think that all I do here is bake and walk through the park and sightsee every Saturday before skipping to my awesome job on Monday.

I mean, why wouldn't people think that, it's all I ever blog about haha. But I don't want to focus about the not-so-glamorous aspects, like the constant slurping sound my heater makes, feeling like my dishes are never completely clean, or that warm feeling on the subway poles from every other New Yorker's hands. We are so blessed to live here and it's such a finite time in our lives. We will always remember this :)

So give me the cons, I can handle them.

hburdie said...

I told you that we train Apollo using the disposal monster. What I forgot to tell you is that, since it terrifies him, I can't run the disposal unless he is being bad. Otherwise he dives under the couch and huddles in fear for half an hour just because our sink needed to be clean.

And what if he's doing something good? I don't want to discourage good behavior. You see the subtle factors that go into appropriate disposal usage? Be glad you don't have to worry about it.

mb said...

haha, yes sacrifices there are, but OOOOH are they worth it!!

Katie said...

Ah yes, very familiar with all of these frustrations. Who knew someone could daydream of crushed ice, carpet and parking?

Amanda S. said...

We don't have a disposal or a dishwasher either, and we don't even live somewhere glamorous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...