04 April 2014

A Look Back on the First Year of Motherhood

Well, Johnny and I survived the first year of parenthood. Or, rather, Sally survived the first year of having us as parents. Either way, we consider it a victory. That first year was quite a roller coaster, with an impossibly steep learning curve --- for me, anyways. Maybe I was naive, but I just didn't know what it meant to be a mom of a newborn.

The first couple of days of being a mom were absolute bliss. The two days spent in the hospital, though completely lacking in sleep, were full of feelings of absolute joy. I was anxious about suddenly being completely in charge of a newborn, but with nurses at my beck and call, it felt totally manageable.

When Sally was as week old, my mom went back to Alabama and Johnny went back to work. And it was just Sally and me. Gulp. Actually, TEARS. Lots of them. I cried and cried that first day alone. I was  certain I couldn't take care of Sally on my own. I can't even recall what felt so insurmountable. But I made it through that day, and I decided I'd just take one day at a time. I felt terrible ever saying that it was hard because I felt so lucky to be Sally's mom. And I loved Sally more than anything. But I was exhausted. And Johnny was, too. The sleep deprivation was the hardest part of it all. And sometimes, those first few months, Sally would cry for no reason, and I couldn't get her to stop. I would call Johnny, crying, too. And she was the cutest little thing, but she wasn't even aware of the difference between me and some strange woman off the street. It was the first time I'd ever given everything to someone who couldn't give me back any sign of gratitude in return. Of course, the newborn days soon passed, and I think I will treasure them more with our second child because they are so very short. Very difficult, very heavenly, and very short.

There were some things I loved about that first year. While nursing is all-consuming, I loved it. I was sure I'd think it was so very weird, but from the moment Sally was born, it felt completely natural. I think it's one of the most amazing things I've ever done. I treasured being able to have that time with Sally. I loved looking down at her face, and seeing her look up at me. I would look forward to our night feedings those first weeks by having a good book to read on my phone while she took her time eating. I love not nursing now and having my body as my very own again, but it was an incredible experience, and I look forward to it with any other children we may have.

There was a lot to love about that first year. Watching Sally grow and learn new things kept Johnny and me on the edge of our seats. She was our favorite form of entertainment (and still is). I learned a lot about myself, and I grew a lot as a person. I feel like I gave myself almost completely to Sally, and I expect it will be the same with the first year with future babies. But I'll know what to expect. No year will every quite be like that first year being a mom and learning everything for the first time. It was full of the deepest love and deepest exhaustion. Johnny took a few pictures those first few months of Sally and me sleeping together, which say more about that first year than anything else.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel like I could have written this EXACTLY!! What a crazy, wonderful first year we had too!! -Erin

Maddie said...

Oh man, so much exhaustion. I'm hoping it stops soon but I don't think it will until we get Marjorie her own bedroom. Dang nyc and it's crazy rent! I love the pics of you two snuggled together : )

Alexa said...

i cannot imagine what it must feel like to be so completely responsible for someone, but you make it look so seamless. you are such a good mama!

Richard said...

Sweet daughter of mine...my own eyes fill with tears as I joyfully read your experiences becoming a mom. I never had any doubt because you have an incredible capacity to love. Love is a powerful force to change us and help us to dig deep into our souls and reach to heights we never thought possible. I remember how many times it I prayed for help with fear I might do something wrong with the precious gift God had given me. You are a wonderful Mom and as your mom, I feel so connected to these feelings you have shared. I love you Jo.

Richard said...

Sweet daughter of mine...my own eyes fill with tears as I joyfully read your experiences becoming a mom. I never had any doubt because you have an incredible capacity to love. Love is a powerful force to change us and help us to dig deep into our souls and reach to heights we never thought possible. I remember how many times it I prayed for help with fear I might do something wrong with the precious gift God had given me. You are a wonderful Mom and as your mom, I feel so connected to these feelings you have shared. I love you Jo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...