22 January 2014

Christmas Eve 2013

This year Johnny and I hosted Johnny's family for Christmas Eve dinner. Johnny's mom and sisters helped out with the meal, and I put two crockpots to good use, so it was easy and fun!

Earlier in the day, Johnny and I tried to make Sally's first Christmas ornament using salt dough and her handprint. Sounds simple enough, right? Wrong x 1000. Sally has this strange (and very strong) dislike of having her hands touched, which has made cutting her nails nearly impossible this first year of her life. And making the ornament proved to be equally frustrating. Every time we started to press her hand down, she'd freak out, either clawing into the dough or pressing down too hard and putting a hole in it. The first few times, we patiently rerolled the dough and tried again. But it kept getting ruined --- over and over, until we'd done it at least 20 times. I'm not exaggerating here. After trying so many times, Johnny refused to give up. I couldn't believe how something so simple had turned into an hour-long affair. Such is life with a strong-willed baby. Finally, we got an okay handprint and called it good. We were both trying very hard not to be too annoyed, since it was Christmas Eve.

At this point, it was just a couple hours before everyone was due to arrive. I put Sally down in the living room, and within a minute, she'd found Johnny's open can of Coke Zero and poured it all over the couch. So that was another mini crisis, which ended up leaving no lasting damage, thankfully. Luckily, everything else went perfectly from there on out. I was so happy the whole night, just getting to be with family for Christmas for the first time since Christmas 2010! It was a happy, happy occasion.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my gosh, look at you, you little hostess with the mostess! It looks like everyone had such a great time! And you even had time to take great pictures! I love a good family party and I also feel so accomplished after a successful hosting gig of any kind. You're awesome! And, Sally is so old, I can't believe it. And the handprint thing is cracking me up. I love you guys so much!

britany a. barnes said...

LOL, so cute!! Thanks for letting us come. IT was a lovely time. xox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...