26 May 2011

Long Weekend Coming Right Up

been eating this all week

Johnny gets Friday and Monday off. Today is his Friday. Based on the exceptionally weird Gmail chats he's been sending me today, I think he's pretty excited. (update: He just got back from lunch and said to me, "back, fool")

As of yesterday, it's pretty much summertime here. I met Johnny for lunch, and it was the first time in months I've had direct sunlight on me.... and the first time I've worn shorts. Yikes. As Johnny was walking with me back to the subway (he always swipes me on with his unlimited card), Martha Stewart walked out of a building and right next to us on the sidewalk! I must say she looks very good for her age.

So a Sprinkles cupcake shop finally opened in NYC, and some of my fellow NYC bloggers have been posting about it. Johnny and I went down there Saturday night, and I was blown away. I tried salty caramel, chocolate marshmallow, and vanilla, and they were gooood. Then, I couldn't stop thinking about cupcakes after that, so on Monday I made the Sprinkles strawberry cupcake recipe, which Johnny and I have been consuming all week long....

Which leads to a story about running. (I had to go running this week if I was to be consuming cupcakes each day.) I've been having a little problem with my runs around the reservoir. I start nearing another runner on the trail, and I can either run closely behind them, which is awkward, or I can pass them. I always choose to pass them, but then I have to increase my pace a little to ensure they don't catch back up to me, which would result in an awkward game of cat and mouse. I come upon more runners in increments throughout the trail, and by the end my pace is way too fast for me to sustain. (I'm normally a very slow runner, and this forces me to be just a slow runner.) Anyway, I'm sick of it. I just want to be able to run at my comfortable slow pace! What's to be done?

Also, in our cupboard we have a box full of granola bars from Costco. One day, I ripped open a granola bar, and seeing it was a flavor I didn't want, I stuck it back in the box. Yesterday Johnny reached in the box and pulled out that opened granola bar and looked at me and said, "What is this? Do I live with a five-year-old?" My response was to laugh uncontrollably, so maybe he does live with a five-year-old. I meant to throw it away and hide the evidence, but then I forgot to do it. Poor Johnny. 

Anyway, I, too, am super excited for the long weekend. If the weather prevails, I think we may head to the beach on Monday :) 

3 comments:

mb said...

I can't stop thinking about sprinkles.

p.s. I don't run on the reservoir, it is too narrow and crowded for my liking, the bridle path is good but I usually just run on the road, you have enough room and once you are past 90th street there are not quite as many people around.

A. Verzello said...

When I was there I ran on the road, too. And I don't think you should worry about people catching up to you if you pass them. Just run your pace and if people pass you back, it's all good. It's more important that you get in a workout that you're satisfied with. I don't think people are offended if you pass them and then slow down again; most people are oblivious and in their own worlds.

hburdie said...

1) That cupcake looks DIVINE.

2) The five-year-old comment made me laugh out loud.

3) . . . I ran out of things to say, but I like it when things come in threes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...