Well folks, I have much more I need to post about, but I have been BUSY!!! Okay, yesterday I spent HOURS scrubbing the bathroom. It was disgusting. I swear it had not been scrubbed for over a year. Now the white tile is actually white, and the grout is more of a beige color rather than black. Eww, I can't believe I lived with it like that for a week. Then I scrubbed the wood floors, which I honestly don't think had been mopped for ages. And the whole time I was thinking, "NO WONDER this city is full of infestations of various kinds. None of these yankees know how to clean worth a dern."
That saying, "worth a dern," is one my mom always says...I feel my southeastern pride returning full blast now that I am in this northeastern city that doesn't know the meaning of customer service. Example one: "Come on sweetheart, I don't have all day." That's what the FedEx guy said to me as I was signing for a package. Really? You don't? Where do you need to go? Thankfully, my landlord was standing right there and said, "Hey, she's not from around here. She doesn't understand." Not that he's much better. He has the thickest New York accent ever, which for some reason frightens me to death.
Anyway, I will be posting more soon, I promise. But for now I thought I'd leave you with a picture of what I will be looking like every day out here in the city...curly hair or nothing. I tried straightening my hair one day, and I was poof head for the whole day. Errgh, Utah, why did you spoil me with your blessed dry weather? The humidity is a beast.
Oh, oh, oh, and Johnny started work on Monday, and he is really enjoying it. He loves his partner, Klane, and he said everyone at his work is super nice. I am so happy for him! Okay, that's all for now. We love and miss you all!

9 comments:
I definitely thought you were flipping off the camera and that you were somehow going to tie in how acclimated you have become to the culture out here. I was a bit worried. But no fear, my Jo is still a charming southern belle.
I'm so excited to read about yours and Johnny's NYC life!
Johnny!!!!! You should know better than that!....Gosh, my own husband!
Don't worry, the humidity isn't always this bad. It dries out a lot in the fall/winter/spring. You guys moved in at the very worst time of the year. Thank goodness it's all uphill from here! And I have to tell you I had a very similar experience scrubbing down the apartment when we moved in. Don't these people care that they're living in filth? I do not understand. I'm glad Johnny is liking DDB. Klane is so happy he's there! He tells me about their lunch breaks and how they split $5 footlongs from Subway. Cute. ;)
ha. i totally thought you were flipping off the camera as well and i couldn't help but do a few double takes to make sure that you weren't. New York is turning you into a different person!
love the picture! and the story about the fedex guy. I'll be passing that one on for sure...so the stereotypes are true!!
hahah Don't worry Joanna..I knew you weren't flipping off the camera. It looks like I am the only one here that actually KNOWS you...hahhaah I hate when New Yorkers are mean..I brew about it for weeks!
That FedEx story is so classic NY. Love it. Glad the first week is going well!
Flashing a gang sign, eh? Careful, or some NY thug will pop a cap in you. Or so I hear. (Is "in" the right preposition there? I don't have a good handle on Ebonic grammar. You'll have to enlighten me, big city girl. Next time someone threatens you in a back alley, observe the prepositions for my benefit.)
Post a Comment